Sunday, August 19, 2012

Countdown 14 Days!

Today's Preview of the Sing With Our Kids website: From Birth to Five... and Before and After!

I was speaking with a children's librarian after a concert at a Seattle Public Library, and she was telling me about a program she designed to help children ages 5-8 who are still learning how to read, comprehend, and think!.As she pointed out, we have early literacy... then teach children to read... then no real support outside of school for those emergent readers. And on the other end of it, of course, early learning begins before birth. We know reading,singing, and talking to babies before they are born is so important, and the true beginning of early learning. 

I chose to focus my projects on birth to five, but as I hear about other people's work on either side of that, I see there will need to be a place for it in Sing With Our Kids. So I'll include sort of bulletin board where we can share programs, books, websites, and ideas about prenatal learning, and emergent literacy; the bookends to the project!  It just keeps getting more interesting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment