Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Countdown 17 Days!

Today's Preview of the Sing With Our Kids website: Reminders of What We Already Know

SingWithOurKids.com will have lots of new information and songs, but it will also have lots of old information and songs we sometimes forget. When I put out the call for traditonal songs to include in the song library, I was surprised how many times songs like Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and the The Wheels on the Bus were requested. I wouldn't have thought to inlcude them. But the feedback I've gotten is a reminder not to take anything for granted! There's a lot of life lived between the time you're a toddler and when you a parent. And I've often had parents ask me, "Where do I begin?"  It's not that we have forgotten these songs, but that we have forgotten we know them! So SingWithOurKids.com will definitely include the staple songs that should never be taken for granted. And of course those same songs are a wonderful introduction to our culture for children and families from other lands. So go ahead little star, Twinkle!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Nancy,
    I definitely agree that what we consider staple songs are a must to include! We are in danger of losing these songs in just one generation. Many parents who knew these songs 'back in the day' have forgotten they knew them, and many parents haven't heard them at all! I'm so excited for your project because these are some of my same goals in storytime here! It's important!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! And please feel free to weigh in on your favorite traditional songs, too. I hope you will follow the project and let parents in your storytimes know they will be able to download the songs and sing them with their children after singing them with you! Together we'll make sure these songs not only aren't lost, but that parents know why it's important to keep them alive!

      Delete