Monday, September 24, 2012

Sing With Our Kids Song Idea and 8 Day Countdown


Here is your Song Idea of the Day:

This is an amazing and inspirational idea e-mailed to me by a librarian following a workshop I did in Florida (yes Florida!) last week. I am so excited to share with you- it's brilliant, simple, and something we will all want to do! I have included her story, since it's so wonderful and a good reminder to all of us about the important work we do. Notice she adapted Bluebird Through My Window. You can find that song on the Sing With Our Kids website. Here's the link. http://singwithourkids.com/songs/bluebird-through-my-window.htm  Notice also, that there are bonus materials at Nancymusic.com (free, of course!) so be sure to get it all!!

Thank you, Rebekah for sharing your great idea with all of us!

 I just wanted to share a story from last week, following your training.

I have two jobs. I work at the public library but I am also the school librarian for a special needs school. Our students have intellectual disabilities. I do a storytime for the youngest kids every week. This week, the theme was pirates (to celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day). I had never heard the Bluebird through my window song but I loved it and I adapted it for this theme. I changed it to “Bluebeard, Bluebeard, through my window”  and we pretended to look out of the window. Then, “Arrrr, mateys, be scared!” at the end. One of my little girls is not yet verbal. She can make sounds but is not yet processing words. I had 5 cards printed, each with a pirate that had a different colored beard on it, so we could change the song and sing, “Purplebeard” etc. On each chorus, she got very excited with the “Arrrr” and made this sound right along with us. At the end of the song, she pointed to her hand. I was not sure what this meant, so her teacher translated- she was asking for more! (One of her hands doesn’t function completely correctly, so she wasn’t making the sign I recognize, but an adapted one). She really loved this song! And I loved sharing something that I learned. You were right, there is something magical about that tune. She engaged immediately and communicated with me in a way she hadn’t before. It was awesome.


And here is your friendly reminder that the Indiegogo fundraiser ends in 8 days. So if you have already donated, thank you thank you! If you haven't, you can click here to learn more about the project and make a donation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment