Sunday, September 23, 2012

Song Tip of the Day and Final Fundraiser Countdown.


Let's make this final countdown fun and useful! 

Okay, so I've got eight days left to try to raise enough money to build the Sing With Our Kids website. I already made my initial plea, and some of you responded with lighting speed! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!  But you know how this fundraising thing works-  I'm supposed to remind (hound and harass) you until you remember (can't stand it anymore and decide you will do anything to make it stop), the theory being that that the squeaky (most annoying) wheel gets the grease, because we all know most people have to read something multiple times before acting on it.

I have NO desire to harass, annoy, or intimidate you. But here I am in the self-imposed position of having to... you know, raise funds!  And I'm an artist, so you know that doesn't come naturally. The good news is my passion for this project is superseding my discomfort with this business of raising money. So here's my plan to make it painless, and in fact productive for you (and me!) and FUN!

I will write a short post here for the next eight days, but instead of the dreaded nagging plea, I will simply give you a fun tip you can use whether you are a parent, grandparent, teacher, librarian, or care provider (and of course a short reminder of the fundraiser). Believe it or not, I have some really great new ones you don't know about yet!

That way, whether you've already donated, or are unable or don't want to, or keep planning to but need a reminder, you'll still get to take something away you can use in your work with young children.  And we all win! So just use and enjoy! In fact you might even want to print out and collect these ideas in your songs collection. And do let me know if there are any traditional songs you would like added to the song library so parents can sing them at home, too! That's the whole point, after all; creating continuity between what you are doing in story times and home; educating while building community through singing. So I really want to know what traditional or Nancy Stewart songs you are using (I only add mine, since I hold the copyrights). 

Here's Your Song Tip of the Day:
Simple variations for infants and toddlers for Who Has A Penny?  This song is available here http://nancymusic.com/SOM/2009/who-has-a-penny.htm, but tomorrow should also be available on SingWithOurKids.com

  • To use my Who Has a Penny song with infants, give each parent a large solid-colored item (like a big soft block), using only three different colors, as the song indicates)  and sing the song, having parents sing the repeated line with their babies. Of course that being said, you may want to change the song to add more different items.That's the beauty of a song. You get to be the boss of it!!
  • To use the song with young toddlers (too young to handle small objects usually used in the song) laminate animal pictures on card stock, and place on popsicle sticks. Parent can help guide child to hold up the animal as you sing, "Who has the doggy?" Parent sings to model, "I have the doggy." You only need to have  3 different animals, so you can make multiples of those three so each child can have one.You'll find the song at www.Nancymusic.com today, but it will also be on www.SingWithOurKids tomorrow.
  • Simple Early Literacy reminder tip for parents: The more you talk to your baby, the more words he or she will know, and the more success they will have with reading. Songs no only provide lots of words we don't even use every day ( like curds and whey and water spout), but putting them in a melody makes the language "stick." Its' just the way our brains work!
If you want to donate to or find out more about the Sing With Our Kids Project, click here: 

p.s. after today, you'll just get the tip and short reminder of fundraiser, not all the extra text as above!

No comments:

Post a Comment