Saturday, August 25, 2012

One Week From Today!

Yup, after over a year of planning, the Sing With Our Kids website and project is about to begin!

Today's Preview of the Sing With Our Kids website- Our Best Friend- the Public Library!

Today I received the final draft of the list of Books That Sing. My local librarian, the Amazing Margaret Martin, has been working very hard on this invaluable resource. We met a couple of weeks ago and spent hours going through piles of books- my favorites, her favorites  and some neither of us were familiar with. I took a pile home and "tested" them with my two young grandchildren (and as a result my book purchases will be going up this month!). 

These books based on traditional and original songs, as well as books with strong rhythm, are like gold when you're looking for something to fully engage restless (or any) children. There will be lots of information on their use on on the website, but having this current list and where to locate them in the library is incredibly exciting! One of my frustrations has always been that these books are not all in one place, either at the library or in book stores. So you don't know what is out there, or how to find it! Armed with this list, you will be able to check out or order them from your local library. I can't wait to make my own way through this list to find the hidden treasures I haven't seen before. Between my own grandchildren and the hundreds of children I see at school visits, they will get a thorough workout and review! 

My local book store, Island Books, will be carrying a collection of these books that are in print. Once they are out of print, you can sometimes find them on Amazon, but the last time I tried to find one that was only a few years old, it was $250! So I say buy them now if they are in print and you love them (and by the way, the average length of time a book is available on book store shelves- 6 months!), or take advantage of our free society's best resource- the public library! 

No comments:

Post a Comment